Sunday, October 02, 2005
no child left behind
After a lovely weekend spent with some college friends, I arrived home to find out that Fantasia Barrino has revealed that she's illiterate. Call me cruel, but I really don't have any sympathy for the American Idol star. Don't get me wrong, no victim should be blamed for their rape, and I understand how that could drive someone to drop out of school, but she was in the ninth grade at the time. That means she successfully made it through the eighth grade. I don't know about you, but in my school, we may not have always understood the deeper meaning behind some of the classic novels, but we were certainly capable of reading and extracting some sort of take home message from the products of authors such as Shakespeare, Dickens, and Richard Adams (Watership Down, anybody?). Granted, I had the opportunity to attend a school with more educational opportunities than the average american student, but a bit of cursory digging seems to support my conclusion. I applaud her for taking care of business now, but it's still ridiculous that she was ever in the position in the first place.
The 21-year-old R&B singer says she's signed record deals and contracts that she didn't read and couldn't understand. But the hardest part, she said, is not being able to read to Zion, her 4-year-old daughter. read more

My guess is that this has been exaggerated for the sake of the story but it's still a travesty.
amr's brain blurted out at 9:48 PM   Permalink   Home
Comments (1)   

Watership Down...

Great. I STILL have nightmares about that book. : )}

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2005 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment    Home

the brain.....
Name: amr
About Me: i am a member of Zion Temple
My full profile

This is a blog.

Subscribe to my feed



Powered by FeedBlitz

recent thoughts.....

the vault.....

other brain.....
pv
jj
avy
svs
dfh
skim
sling
jblaze
luosha
alberto
kristasphere
nkechi speaks
sg
phd
t&p
dirtdogs
firebrand
doobybrain
postsecret
fakedoctor

brain thanks.....
blogger
blogskins
haloscan
LucaZappa
Roveberg
Feedburner
Feedblitz
Get Firefox

original layout.....
derived from:
  inside your head
designed by:
  w4rnawarni @ blogskins