Sunday, December 05, 2004
the color purple
Current mood: angry

I saw this movie in its entirety for the first time last night. I know I read the book way back when (ie late elementary/middle school, back when I used to read for fun) but I must have been too young or something because I haven't felt like this in awhile. I've got more to say but I have to go so consider this filler til I can come back.

::updated::

Anyway, I understand that Walker is just telling a story that's based on the time, but the Spielburg does a phenomenal job bringing her characters to life. Every rape, beating, and other injustices dealt to the women in the story felt like a blow to the gut. I can't imagine even pretending to be that submissive, and Whoopi Goldberg did it exceptionally well playing Celie, the main character. Time after time I found myself pleading for her to just get up and go. I'm glad for Danny Glover's sake that I've seen him in other films, because each new abusive act made me hope that someone would come along to teach him a lesson.

In any case, my review doesn't do the story justice; watch the movie yourself (or better yet, pick up the book). "Celie" could be the grandmother of someone I know, and that's a pretty sobering realization.

amr's brain blurted out at 9:18 PM   Permalink   Home
Comments (1)   

5 Comments


Truth about the Don't Worry post...thanks for the encouragement through it!
Posted 12/6/2004 at 9:25 AM by Nyam

hmm... what a mood to be in!
Posted 12/6/2004 at 3:25 PM by Emily_Lee

hey go to sunnie's blog for pictures.... he came with me for her birthday. (I would have thought you'd have looked at them already!!)
Posted 12/7/2004 at 8:01 AM by princessvince

ive yet to view this one
Posted 12/7/2004 at 9:17 AM by CaKaLusa

never saw the movie, read the book for school. it was a little much for me.
Posted 12/7/2004 at 9:25 AM by Nave99

By Blogger amr, at 12/10/2004 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment    Home

the brain.....
Name: amr
About Me: i am a member of Zion Temple
My full profile

This is a blog.

Subscribe to my feed



Powered by FeedBlitz

recent thoughts.....

the vault.....

other brain.....
pv
jj
avy
svs
dfh
skim
sling
jblaze
luosha
alberto
kristasphere
nkechi speaks
sg
phd
t&p
dirtdogs
firebrand
doobybrain
postsecret
fakedoctor

brain thanks.....
blogger
blogskins
haloscan
LucaZappa
Roveberg
Feedburner
Feedblitz
Get Firefox

original layout.....
derived from:
  inside your head
designed by:
  w4rnawarni @ blogskins